§ Are electrical cords intact and away from the reach of children?
§ Are electrical appliances away from a filled tub, sink or running water?
§ Are painted surfaces (including walls and furniture) free from chalking, flaking and peeling, which could indicate the presence of lead-based paint?
§ Are all exterior doors, including pet doors, if applicable, childproofed (latches, high locks or alarms, etc.)?
§ Are all stairways and floor space for walking clear from obstruction and in a non-slippery condition?
§ Is there railing protecting all stairways and elevated landings (top and bottom of stairs)?
§ If there are railing slats greater than 2-3/8 inches apart, are they covered with a piece of wood or hard plastic?
§ Is there a safe place for the child to sleep?
§ If there is a crib, are the gaps between the slats on the crib 2-3/8 inches or less?
§ If there is a child under 1 year of age, is the sleeping area free of soft bedding (including bumper pads), pillows, blankets and stuffed animals?
§ If there is a crib, does the crib sheet and mattress fit tightly to avoid entrapment and suffocation?
§ Are all houseplants out of the reach of children?
§ Are all ashtrays out of the reach of children?
§ Are emergency numbers readily accessible?
§ Are knives and other sharp objects out of the reach of children or in a childproofed drawer?
§ Are plastic bags out of the reach of children?
§ Are sharp edges and corners covered (i.e., fireplace, tables, etc.)?
§ Are there safety plugs in all unused electrical outlets?
§ Are hair dryers and curling irons out of the reach of children?
§ Are the iron and ironing board out of the reach of children?
§ Are all chemicals and cleaning supplies stored in original containers? (Some examples of dangerous products include paint thinner, antifreeze, gasoline, turpentine, bleach, insect spray, fertilizer, poison.)
§ Are all chemicals and cleaning supplies stored out of the reach of children or in a childproofed cabinet?
§ Are all vitamins, over-the-counter and prescription medication stored out of the reach of children or in a childproofed drawer/cabinet?
§ Are all alcoholic beverages stored out of the reach of children or in a childproofed cabinet?
§ Are cosmetics stored out of the reach of children or in a childproofed drawer/cabinet?
§ Are curtain and blind cords kept out of the reach of children?
§ If residence is not on the ground floor, is furniture that a child could climb on away from windows, or are there window guards installed?
§ Are smoke alarm(s) in working order and located on every floor?
§ Are space heaters in good repair and are they at least 4 feet from clothing, curtains/drapes or any flammable material?
§ Are there two unrestricted exits (windows or doors) that can be used in case of fire?
§ Look at all outdoor areas with water (pool, hot tub, retention pond and/or fountain).
§ If there is a door from the house that leads into an area with water, is there an exit alarm or a lock located at least 54 inches above the floor?
- If there is a barrier around the pool, are large objects outside of the barrier (such as tables, chairs or ladders) far enough away from the barrier to prevent children from using them to climb over the barrier and into the pool area?
- Is there a latch on the gate that closes automatically (if there is a gate into the area with water)?
- Is the latch located on the side with the water? Is the latch located at least 54 inches above the bottom of the gate?
- If there is a window that is accessible to the area with water, is there an exit alarm and/or is the base of the window at least 48 inches from the interior floor?
- Are toys and objects that may attract children kept out of the water when not in use?
- Are there life saving devices near the pool such as a hook, pole or flotation device?
- Are pool chemicals kept away from heat sources and out of the reach of children?
- Is the property free from containers of water or other fluid left uncovered or accessible to a child (i.e., inflatable “kiddie pool”, buckets, etc.)?